06 January 2006

Inspired by Luke 22:3-6, 21-23


Wouldn’t you hate to have been Judas? To be the man that betrayed Jesus, how did he handle being the one that sent his Saviour to death? Well apparently he didn’t. But Jesus included Judas as He did all the disciples. He broke covenant with Judas, knowing full well what was going to happen. But strangely enough, Judas betrayal of Jesus brought about the fulfilment of that covenant. I don’t think it excuses the behaviour or gets him off the hook, but I wonder if Judas knew that. I wonder if maybe he did, but still the guilt that gripped him was so strong that he was unable to seek forgiveness, and so assuming that the stain was so great that he could never go back to his Master he ran as far from God as he could and committed suicide. I wonder what would have happened if he had run towards him. Peter betrayed but came to Jesus, what would have happened for Judas?

And while this might seem an extreme example I don’t think Judas predicament is so foreign to us. Have you ever found yourself in a position where you are certain that whatever you have done is far too horrible for you to enter God’s presence once again? I know I have. Sometimes it seems strange that we can actually justify that position to ourselves. But if you are there, let me encourage you of this: God broke covenant with you too. He has included you as He did all of His disciples. Which means that the choice is up to you – you can run towards Him or away from Him, but He has already done what is necessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home