11 September 2007

My Rights

So i've been having random thoughts a lot recently. So i've been updating my blog. Probably won't happen again for ages. So sue me :P

I have a very big habit of not liking to be hurt in relationships. Of course everyone is like this to some extent, but for me this is a considerable factor for me when pursuing any kind of relationship. I have operated under the belief that there is no need for me to pursue a relationship if I believe that the outcome of it is likely to cause me more pain than I feel like dealing with. As a result, I have often limited my contanct and deep friendship with people around me.

But I'm gonna try and change all this. Because I realised that I have been operating out of a false assumption about what my rights are. I believed that it was my reasonable right to be in a relationship that didn't hurt me too much and to not have to be in relationships that did. But I've realised that I don't have that right. It was never given to me. If I look at the example of Christ I see that he loved, and continued to love even with betrayal, his friends. He was probably hurt more by those closest to him, than I ever will be. If I'm following him, I have to follow this example.

This means that I'm giving up my 'right' to be in a relationship and not expect to get hurt. I'm giving up my 'right' to pull back out of a relationship if I do get hurt. Instead I'm going to give as I can to people, of me, and do so even expecting that I will probably get hurt, but do so anyway, most particularly because Christ did and I know that I find my strength in him.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 pm, September 11, 2007, Blogger Cassie said...

Good thoughts. Just wondering though, do you think a point comes where you say no more. Coz you've been hurt too many times in one relationship, forgiven, been hurt again...

 
At 7:56 pm, September 11, 2007, Blogger bec said...

Quite possibly, sure. It can't be a suicide pact. At the same time, forgiveness doesn't end. But there can be wise choices to make.

I know for me it's not so much about relationships that I am very much in, but ones that I am partially in, or possibly in, but then back out for fear of being hurt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home