13 January 2006

Where are you from?

One of the things that I have discovered while travelling is my allegiance to my home country. I would not have thought that I would be one to make such a big deal about it. But I do - any time I see something related to Australia I am immediately interested. I am an Aussie born and bred, and I'm proud of it. I love being Australian. And I've heard a lot of different conversations relating to allegiance and where you're from, and what that means. And then there's this continuously re-occurring issue of home. Because so far, each place that I have stayed I at some stage have referred to as home. Got me thinking, "Where is home?" Home is where your heart is, they say. And Jesus said that our hearts were where our treasure was. So I guess if I look at my treasure I find out where my heart is. It's a challenging thought. What is my treasure? Does it mean that I am really making my home where I want it to be? Or am I letting other unimportant things crowd in the way? What's even more challenging is what Jesus said about His home. "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." To Jesus, He didn't have an earthly home. He was just passing through. Am I following in the footsteps of my Saviour? I must remind myself that for wherever I would call home, or tie my earthly allegiance, it is not really my home and I am just passing through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home