14 February 2006

Do you know one thing that frustrates me?


Ok, this has come up a few times now, in a variety of situations. So I'm blogging it!

One thing that I really hate is how, as Christians, we seem so quick to attack each other, and sometimes we don't even give the real enemy a passing thought. It reminds me of the tribe of Israel, who were always far more willing to go to war against each other than their real enemies. Like they could kill so much of the tribe of Benjamin that they were worried if it was going to survive, but they didn't even bother to get all of the other nations out of the promised land - and suffered the consequences because of it.

Why do we always have to attack each other? Why are there so many people walking around, and out, of our churches because of the things that their own brothers and sisters have done, not done, said or not said to them? Why do we as the body of Christ poke ourselves in the eye, or intentionally stub our toe all the time? Why do we criticise before trying to understand? Condemn before loving? And regularly never forget, even if we 'say' that we forgive?

I guess in writing this I don't want so much answers, but to remind myself, and everyone who reads this, that if I am truly loving my God I am working to live in unity with my brothers and sisters, forgiving their faults and not trying to make them trip up. I love the body of Christ. I want to make sure I do actually show that.

3 Comments:

At 2:00 am, February 15, 2006, Blogger Naomi said...

Mmmmm...

I don't know about others, but I know I often over-identify with people. I'll notice that we have a certain number of things in common, and just assume that we have everything else in common too... until I'm rudely awoken.

When it comes to christianity... sometimes the closeness of siblinghood lulls me into forgetting that we all have different beliefs, opinions and experiences of God. Sometimes a brother or sister says something that seems so totally wrong - so out of line with MY life - that I feel the need to tell them they're wrong, they need to mend their ways fast! Sheer arrogance on my part, of course, and I try to bite my tongue when I feel it coming on. I think that's what the church needs now... more biting of tongues :-)

 
At 5:02 am, February 15, 2006, Blogger bec said...

I like it, I was thinking that I needed to bite my tongue today. I was 'helping' (though I did end up helping) a friend. But I was reminded (by God) that sometimes I need to hold my tongue rather than spouting off my opinion.

 
At 5:04 pm, February 16, 2006, Blogger bec said...

Chloe, you made me cry, seriously. That was about some of the most beautiful stuff you could have said. Thank you. Love you babe! If this is something that I can give you I give it to you with all my heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home