11 February 2006

'salvo pin-up girl'

So I stumbled across one of my friend's blogs yesterday. She actually goes to my church, and if I thought about it, I would have known that she had a blog, but it didn't really occur to me. Well yesterday when I was following links to salvo blogs I ran into her blog. I recognised her name from a blog we both used to post on and then I recognised her story. So I read the posts that were displayed and then today I decided to go back and read some of the earlier posts. And then I found a post about me. There were no names written, but the blog coincided with a time, and so I checked it on my calendar, and yes it was about me. The thing that stuck out to me was the quote that she used to describe me, that I was a 'salvo pin-up girl.' That being, the kind of salvo everyone wants to be like (at least that was how she described it). Funny thing, when I read it I was sad. I don't want to be a salvo pin-up girl. I'm not. I make so many mistakes and fall down so many times and I really am not the person that I would want to be putting on display as the salvo example to follow. I know that I would like to be an example for people to follow and I attempt to live my life that way, but I am so not perfect. And that is the connotation that pin-up girl gives me. I hate that people sometimes put me on a pedestal and think that I do everything right or something. I guess sometimes I come across that way, and so I guess that means that I contribute to this misconception. I don't want to do that. Must mean that I need to be more open with people about my imperfections. Hopefully this blog is sometimes a good way of doing that.

But for all those people reading this blog, in case it isn't: I am not perfect, I have my faults and failings that may not be so obvious, but are certainly there. And I am once again reminded of a song (stacy orrico): Don't look at me if you're looking for perfection, don't look at me I will only let you down, don't look at me, oh no no, don't look at me, look at Him.

And to my friend (If you ever get here to read this!): Not upset at you for writing this, just sad that once again I came across as I don't mean to. So not upset at you, probably more just me and the situation. :) Much love.

2 Comments:

At 9:00 pm, February 11, 2006, Blogger bec said...

What's so bad about it? The expectation, and then the disappointment of people when they realise it's not true. The distance it can create between you and people as they think they could never be like you, or think that you must look down on them or something. That sometimes maybe you feel trapped into being something that you don't want to be. But the cool thing is, some of my recent lessons are teaching me how to go beyond some of this!

 
At 8:51 pm, February 12, 2006, Blogger Naomi said...

*huggggggggggggggg*

I was wondering whether you'd ever stumble over that.

One of the things that I've found tough in my walk is other people's tendencies to envy my walk, my 'spirituality', my strengths. I'm constantly shocked and appalled when people say they wish they could be like me, or whatever. Crikey - do they have any IDEA what they're letting themselves in for?

So, another thing I find tough in my walk is the fact that I turn around and do the same thing to others - see their strengths, ignore their flaws, and think life would obviously be easier if I was more like them. Because life always looks easier from the outside, doesn't it?

Ah well. It's a standard human weakness that I think we're all prone to. About all we can do is accept that others have flaws and struggles we may not see, and try to share our own flaws and struggles with others. Although, ironically, this can lead to people wishing they could be as open and honest as us... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home