25 January 2006

God forsaken

So a while back I said I had some thoughts while I didn't have internet access. I went back and read some of them. I like this one. So I'm putting it in (always good when you like something upon return).

"Eloi, Eloi, lema sabcthani?" It's what Jesus cried on the cross, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" And I've heard this before, and had in my head that it must have been pretty hard for Jesus, but I've just come to some new revelations as to the extremity of this feeling. In John 16:31-32 Jesus tells the disciples that the time is coming when they will all be scattered and leave Him, but He would not be alone because the Father was with Him. And so in this moment of crying out in desperation, you have Jesus, deserted by His friends and now, bereft of His one consolation, communion with the Father. Now we think we get the idea of not wanting to be separated from God but think about how it was for Jesus. He had said, "The Father and I are one." So this wasn't just a momentary wave of emotion, it was like something being torn out of His very being. Ripped apart from the One who had never left Him. I don't know if you can feel the agony, but take a moment and just try. Can you feel it? Can you feel His heart breaking in utter devastation as He was separated from the Life Source? Can you feel the sinister, sucking vacuum, the devastation of death? Can you feel it? And that's just a shadow. And what's so amazing is not just that Jesus felt that, but that He felt it for a very specific reason. He felt it for the love of a world that He created, but that had chosen not to know Him. He felt it because the pain that He went through was worth it, for you, me and every person that you would come in contact with. It's amazing. I am convicted, challenged and my heart soars with joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home