07 February 2006

Addiction or Affection?

So I regained internet access today. I am currently staying the salvos training college in Sydney and they have internet access in the hostel rooms but I only spoke with someone yesterday about connecting it (they have internet in the library, but nothing cuts working from the computer you are familiar with, that also has all of your programs and music, in the privacy of your own room - mostly so I can play whatever music I want!). And then today I went to get a cord to connect it (because I forgot that I needed one, being used to having a wireless connection - couldn't access any here, I tried it) but they sold me a phone cord instead of an internet cord. So I will return that tomorrow. But now I finally have the net and I feel so much better about it. And that might sound like I'm addicted, but let me give you an alternative.

I use the internet to connect with people. I write emails, I post on my blog and I read other peoples blogs. The internet is a means to an end, and that end is people. I love people. But I had been feeling a bit lost here - the training college can be a pretty people quiet place because most people are here for a reason related to activity - as opposed to me who is here to do not much and get some rest and away time. And so I jumped on and read the numerous blogs that I have in my Favourites. And I realised something. One of the reasons that I had been feeling alone was because there are all these people that I hear from on a very regular basis. Some of them don't know me, some of them I don't know. But I know people who do. And I found all my friends again, it was good.

The other thing I realised is that I was missing Canada news, and missing hearing people talk the way they do over there. Not the accent (you can't get that over the net and I wouldn't miss it anyway) but the full of faith, fired up for the Kingdom way that they have of talking. It resonates inside of me, and I had been missing people talking like that. Sometimes if you talk like that too much over here it feels like people look at you strange or really just don't understand. It was good to read everyone's stuff and remember that I am not alone. (Never am, God is always there - He's been great! - but you know what I mean) And it was also great to realise that even this far away, and over the distance of cyberspace, Canada is still feeling like home. Can't wait to get there. The confirmation was good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home