12 October 2006

New Starbucks

So I moved to a new Starbucks store this week. I had done a couple shifts filling in their schedule in the previous weeks and then they asked me if I wanted to transfer. The store is kind of crazy, particularly because there are so many people that fill in shifts, and it requires some getting used to in the differences from my old store.

But here's the thing. One of the reasons that it can get quite chaotic is something that I think can be managed. The point, I think, is seen in comparison. At my old store, when we were crazy busy everyone locks into a position and they stay there and do their job there as efficiently and well as posssible. At my new store, when it gets crazy busy the roles of the people on the floor seem to become very fluid, with lots of people doing parts of other people's jobs. Now I think it might be thought that people are being helpful, but when you look at it from the outside, I suspect that it actually slows down the process, because you have too many people changing from one area to another. It works better when everyone has there own role, they know what it is and they stick to it, without trying to do or be someone else.

Hopefully in the not too distant future we will get this and some other organisational issues sorted (you never realise how important seeming meaningless organisational tasks are until they are not done) and then we will rock that town. But I wondered if maybe the observations had some applications to our Christian experience. Something like a body, or something? What do you think?

2 Comments:

At 8:51 am, October 13, 2006, Blogger Snooty Farkleboob said...

People are too busy beating each other up in the body of Christ. I just came from a Christian forum on myspace and they are laying into each other for no good reason.

And you don't get public recognition from the meaningless tasks, dontchano, Bec?!

 
At 11:37 am, October 13, 2006, Blogger bec said...

Ahh, do know. It wasn't so much the recognition, but the necessity to operation of these tasks. You don't realise how important they are until they are not done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home