21 August 2006

And so I'm back...

...from outer space. No, not really.

Went on a week's summer camp for kids. It was a week of hanging out with 16 8year olds and kind of being 'mum'. Getting them up in the morning, getting them out the door, supervising breakfast, entertaining them while they waited, pouring milk, cereal and drinks so they didn't spill it, giving them permission to leave the table, supervising and leading activities, cutting up food, telling them to eat things they don't like, teaching them to clear the table, disciplining them, sending them to bed, and many more things in between.

But by far the best thing about the week was the last night of camp, when I ended up with all 16 of them in 1 room and we had a huge question and answer time about God, faith, Jesus, the Bible and related topics. They are so thirsty for knowledge it is amazing. It is also amazing the knowledge that some of them have. But through it all I certainly was aware of a huge sense of responsibility as I came to the realisation that these girls understanding of the gospel was coming from me. In some ways, I was God's Word to them. What I was saying to them they would believe as truth. There's no better way to gain the desire to know God's Word and know it well then when the faith of an 8 year old hangs on what you say.

3 Comments:

At 2:24 pm, August 21, 2006, Blogger Cassie said...

Did any declare they were Buddhists? I was in a similar situation once with Kids Club when we ran our after school program. Except I had 30... mostly boys... and one said "I am a buddhist, because my mum is a Christian and God is NOT TRUE" and that was interesting...

 
At 7:33 am, August 22, 2006, Blogger lux said...

hey mate,

It sounds like you had an awesome time, and that God used you to speak His truth to those kids.
You are awesome, love ya mate, i miss seeing you, around the place. It is so much quietier here in Aus.
Lisa

 
At 6:20 am, August 28, 2006, Blogger Shannon said...

We missed you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home