31 March 2006

A lot of thoughts today

Hmm, so it is late, so I don't know if I'm going to remember to get all of this down. So I will try. Thus, ends two whole days of me being able to say that it was a really good day. I think it comes from being busy. I am still not getting all my rations and stuff in, which is not good and is definitely about a discipline thing and it is my issue but I am talking to someone about getting involved in an accountability relationship with them, so that is good. But yesterday I was busy because I went down to Cross Culture and helped out Pastor James and I drove for the first time on the other side of the road. It is really weird and I have to think every time that I turn a corner, but it is still cool. And so I did stuff for Pastor James and it is funny, because if it had been a day at yos I would have come home and said that I did not much, but it was so nice to do something. Even if it was just doing work on a display panel that I will probably completely scrap anyway. But that's ok. I did something. And then today I went to visit a friend. I think I can now definitely call her a friend because I have hung out with her twice. We met the first time both of us went to Cross Culture for Saturday night drop-in and then she gave me her number. She is married with two daughters and somehow is just a kindred spirit. I think that if she lived in Aus and I knew her, she and my two married friend and I would all hang out together and playgroup at my house would be absolutely huge!! (check the photo blog if you don't understand the reference) So it was great to hang out with her and fun to be here and talking about kids and families and parenting and God and how it all fits in. And it was almost like God gave me that friendship that I so appreciated here. And it is also a huge blessing because the timing is perfect in my life and also in hers as well and she is about an hour away by bus, which is close enough to be able to travel to and long enough away to feel like you left for a bit. It is nice to have an outside of community connection just to get out of my world momentarily. And nice to hang out with someone who is pretty sure in themselves and not hung up about unimportant things. Also awesome that she has offered her house if I ever need a retreat. Praise the Lord for His provision and for friends to share the journey with. I think that I might even end up going rock climbing with her. That would be really cool. Oh and Jess, she wants to home school, so she really is a kindred spirit. I think you and her would get along well too. She has a lot of the no nonsense attitude and shares your stance on kids and discipline. I think I will really value her.

So I also learnt that I love learning from people in this community. I must continue to remind myself that they do have so much to give me and I must be willing to receive that. Like today this guy on the bus was just so cool and I think really shared his joy with so many of the passengers on the bus. But one thing that he shared that made me think was that the area we were in had big houses but small churches. It was kind of a sad statement to have said of your neighbourhood, but I think true in many cases.

Oh and another thing I learnt. I get by with a little help from my friends. Going to visit today was so easy because I got lots help from people. The original directions I got were great but I asked my house mates about catching the bus and then someone when I had to change buses. And it was just so easy. It reminds me of a quote I read on a blog a while ago, "If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." I think it is an African proverb.

And another appreciation from tonight is that after knee drill (prayer meeting) we went to Tinseltown (local shopping mall with cinemas) and decided we would hang out there until it was so late that they kicked us out. We all eventually got so tired that we weren't sure if we were going to make it. But we did and it was really cool. But we were hanging out and I think one of the reasons that we do it is because we have such good conversations. There is a group of us that kind of hang out a bit for doing this (usually there is me Xander and Olivia, with some tag alongs) and we appreciate each others company. And while we do fun things, it usually also ends up in conversations of significance. And tonight we did listening prayer for each other (lots of mental imagery stuff, imagining Jesus and talking to Him and places and stuff) and in turn we brought each other to Jesus to get a word for each other. Apart from the fact that this is always encouraging it is so fun to hear the words come out and to hear the confirmation for each other. My favourite one was for Xander as we all got words that God was preparing Him for battle and training Him and giving Him strategy and stuff. It was really cool! And I was just thinking about how many of these conversations that I would have in a year, but here I have them at least once a week with this group and then I have so many more of them with other people. It is so cool. I think that is part of the intenseness. The climate of spiritual awareness is huge and, somehow, it is like that we really do live in a war zone. Somehow it is so easy to remember here that you are in a war. So often at home I found it hard to remember. Somehow it is in your face here. I think it has to do with the community, but also the people I live with and the way they talk and the way that they live their lives. I really love it. God is so good!!

4 Comments:

At 11:18 pm, March 31, 2006, Blogger Cassie said...

... And also maybe the way people don't have to worry about as much of the things like work and study etc perhaps??? That's my little annoyance, the fact that everything is in the way... (school)... had an interesting convo with Antony, perhaps I will email thee...

 
At 12:30 pm, April 06, 2006, Blogger Rebekah Dooley said...

that was fun last week doing listening prayer in the middle of tinseltown.

 
At 12:31 pm, April 06, 2006, Blogger Rebekah Dooley said...

good times good times. i was very blessed :D

 
At 11:31 pm, April 23, 2006, Blogger Snooty Farkleboob said...

This took me ages to get around to saying here (easily distracted!), but I wanted to tell you that it is so awesome that you have found a home-schooling mum! Its great to know that there are still mum's in the world who take their responsibility to their children very seriously! I hope she is an awesome friend to you and you can learn heaps about being a great mum from her. Your kids will be so lucky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home