22 February 2006

Because I said so, that's why!

So I attempted to write this the other day but it didn't quite happen. The idea wan't completely there. I think it's here now, so let's have another try.

I am not very good at doing things that I have to do. If it is a choice between something I have to do and something that I don't have to do, I will most likely choose the thing that I don't have to do, even if the thing that I have to do is usually my preference. I think it's another product of not liking being put in obes. I don't like being told what to do. And so at times I have struggled with the concept of personal discipline, because it involves something that I have to do. I know it's good for me, but it still doesn't get done all the same.

So recently I've been discovering all these things about love. And so there are things that I used to have to do but now I love to do them. But I have discovered something else. I still need discipline. Because even though I am beginning to love these things it is still so easy to to find the time no tto do them, or forget to do them.

And so I was pondering love and discipline. I kow they are linked, Proverbs 3:12 tells us that the Lord disciplines those He loves. Verse 11 also tells us not to despise or resent it. But I thought this was different. Isn't it? This is not about doing something wrong but about doing something right. So maybe it applies even more... I have always said (or at least said it for a while) that discipline has to be part of the Christian experience. But I think I am now getting that this is particularly because of it's relationship with love. Discipline is a choice. Love is a choice. You are disciplined because you love. And maybe that's how God fits in. As part of His love to us He helps us be disciplined. This is not just a punishment for wrong doing but also out of a very healthy practice for doing good things.

So as part of my love relationship with God here are the things that He is disciplining me in.

Everyday I want to have:
A time of solitude that contains enough time to:
- read at least 5 chapters of Scripture
- pray for those on my prayer list
- pray the Bible for 15 min
- spend time listening to God
- memorise Scripture
- ready myself for battle

I want to regularly (something based around at least weekly times for these):
- read books that enrich my daily walk
- study the Word of God in a way that gives depth, pulling it apart and putting it back together again
- have a day of Sabbath rest where I reflect on the week that has been and examine myself in it; to realign myself with God's purpose and call on my life and where I spend time acknowledging God's greatness and goodness
- take time to write. I have discovered that I really love doin it and sometimes I have an occassionally decent turn of phrase. And it's great for me because I learn so much from it.

I think that is about it for now. I hesitate to put this here because I really don't want to put myself and my practices up as a standard. Instead I put this up here as a reminder to myself to keep me accountable, and to also allow all of you to have that role in my life as well. So feel free.

3 Comments:

At 12:09 am, February 23, 2006, Blogger Cassie said...

Well then, Ms Spiritual one... I wish I had the time and energy to do that, but I start reading my Bible and fall asleep in the middle, even when I try not to! Still, luck with that, I'm sure it will be great.

 
At 1:02 am, February 23, 2006, Blogger Cassie said...

Just so you know, didn't mean to be nasty. Actually, most people would be sarcastic because it is a load to take on and I don't think most people could do it. I couldn't. But I wish I could, which is what actually sucks most. Luvs you, Cass

 
At 2:53 pm, February 23, 2006, Blogger bec said...

Love you back Cass! You are so sweet. I can't believe you came back to clarify. :) You are beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home