24 February 2006

Families are important

So I mentioned the other day that I caused controversy in a blog. I ended up writing a reply in my notebook and have been debating about what to do with it. See the convo in the original blog has gone past my comment and so it seems silly to bring it up again, but I thought what I wrote was important to me. So I decided I would just post it here. To give you a bit of background, the original blog was asking a question about what we should stand for if we made a new party in the government. I think I originally said standing for marriage as God ordained it, man and woman, one flesh. Here's an expansion of those thoughts.

I sometimes get in touble for saying far more than necessary, hence the shortness of the original comment. Also, I kept it intentionally short in an attempt to not offend. Seems my lack of words may have had the same affect. Whoops! I certainly never meant it as an attack against gay people (which seemed to be the assumption) and it was to do with a whole lot more than that as well. It had a lot to do with the one flesh thing, and God's original pan for marriage, and as a result, the family. There are so many attakcs on the family at the moment. There is a general push to say that marriage doesn't matter, with huge cohabitation and divorce rates, the increasing voice of the polygamist argument and the impact of the gay society as well. It's all an afront against marriage and against the family. And I believe God set up family as His special unit of functioning. He talks about the relationship of the church with Him like a marriage (e.g. John 3:29), speaks about the impact of one generation of a family to another (Gen. 17:7, 2 Tim. 1:5), and then we are referred to as God's kids (Rom. 8:17). So I figure God goes for the family deal. He is into marriage and families. I really believe that much of the degredation of society as a whole is due to the breakdown of the family. For me it's a justice issue. I am looking for a reference, but in the last year or so read an article that linked the continuing break downs of families in Europe to the general rejection of faith, particularly Christianity. For me it makes sense that the two are linked. And how many people do you know that are messed up due to messed up families? Which means that if you are standing for marriage and families, you are not only saying "no" to some things, you are also saying "yes" to others. For example, teaching people what family means, supporting parents and enriching marriages. So I guess for me, if we had a new party, I would want it to be promoting God's version of marriage. The world would be a better place because of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home