10 April 2006

I live in a monastery? and other thoughts

So I was having a conversation with Pastor James the other day (I do a bunch of work with him these days, helping with the various ministries that he is doing) and was telling him how we live. Things like the fact that we have so many people in living in close quarters and that it is a very connected community and we are very much about accountability and transparency and discipline and that kind of thing. He said that we were like a modern monastery, like the Fransican monks and all. So that's kind of cool because it's a pretty big word up to the way we live. I hope we actually live up to it. (Though with all the married ppl here, I don't think we'll be adding celibacy to our living conditions!)

Second thing I have been thinking about is my perspective on my current ministry here. At present I am spending a lot of time at X-Culture (Cross Culture) which is a building that 614 rents about 30-40 min walk (everything is in walking distance these days!) from DTES. I am there Mon, Wed, Fri for most of the day and then Sat evening and Sun afternoon. And so you would think that spending so much time there would give me some feelings ownership towards the community. But I have realised that in some ways I have been coming in to help other people with what they are doing, but it hasn't been mine. The crazy thing is I do want to be there, and feel that it is where God has placed me in that place. But it hasn't felt like mine. So my prayer is that I will come to see this place as my mission field, not just the place where I am helping someone else. God help me see these people the way You see them, give me Your heart for them. May they become my people to me, may I love them as my family, as my kids. Plant me in there God. Help me to invest of myself there, to have something that holds me there and keeps my heart there. God let me be Your witness there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home