15 April 2006

Things Down Here...

So on a more humorous note I thought I would share a few things about my community that have happened since I got back from Van Is that make me love this place.

1. The night I arrived back we had to have a conversation about what we are going to do with the mouse that we have (because it has taken to eating our food, a circumstance that voids its right to mutually exist with us). the options ranged from trying the humane catch and release trap again, using a normal mouse trap, keeping the mouse as a pet to a couple others. It was such an animated conversation for a really simple situation, but that's what you get when the majority of 9 ppl want to weigh in on the situation!

2. The fact that our front door lock is broken because it is constantly getting opened due to all the visitors and our own traffice that comes through this place. (don't worry we have two doors that lock so we are still safe) Seriously, I alone went down at least 5 times to let people in the other day. I love that when my church wants to come visit me they just ring the door bell and walk in. And I can do the same in return.

3. Having a room of 70% Australians and having fun quoting "I Still Call Australia Home", laughing at all the jokes of The Castle and Kath and Kim and having people not understanding at all (it's not really that big an inside joke, it's just Australian 'umour), actually convincing someone that drop bears exist and that the reason that vegemite is so popular in Aus is because it can be put behind your ears as a prevention against drop bears biting your head off.

4. 7 people piling into a 4 person car to go to Denny's (a resturant chain here). That we are that comfortable with close contact, and just that it really didn't seem that an outrageous idea at the time, is pretty awesome.

Other cool things have been Passover meal at knee drill (prayer meeting) the other night and an all night of prayer to bring in Good Friday.

Praise the Lord for community, I love it!

2 Comments:

At 2:43 pm, April 15, 2006, Blogger Cassie said...

Hehe, drop bears do exist... we had a German girl in our maths class and the poor thing didn't know what to think! LOL... about the 7 people in a car thing... Hmm, how many demerit points is that? Anyways, sounds like fun! LOVE YOU!

 
At 9:55 pm, April 15, 2006, Blogger Snooty Farkleboob said...

I had never heard the vegemite behind the ears before! I'm still giggling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home