12 April 2006

You don't know what you got til it's gone

So I have discovered that the DTES has become home. How do I know this? Because I miss it so much after being away for only four days on Vancouver Island (and I am so much used to here that I was just about to write The Island, then realised all the Oz ppl wouldn't understand). I knew it felt comfortable, but I hadn't realised how much it felt like home.

Here's a couple things I have noticed. I miss my community. I hadn't realised how much they give to me and how much I receive from them. I think I am feeling more tired here because normally I receive actual physical energy from the interactions that I have. And I miss the things that we would normally do over these four weeks (I have discovered that I do have some kind of routine here, because I know specifically what activities I am missing by being here) and I miss the conversations on the deep levels of thought or personal delving that so regularly happen at home.

I have also realised that it has become home because of how I feel about my surroundings. For the last couple of nights I have slept in double beds in my own room in nice houses. And while it is nice, it doesn't feel normal, but it is a treat. But I realise that in a few short weeks I have become very comfortable with how I live. People give me credit for it, but I love it. It helps keep life simple, and it is always a good reminder to be able to walk out your door and actually see those that you have been called to love.

So I really do think I am home in DTES, it is such a blessing. Maybe some of it is the certainty that it is where God wants me right now, and so home is really being found in God's will. But it is also nice to have a physical attachment to that as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home