28 February 2006

Who would have thought?

So I thought I would let you all know something. Yesterday I finished a four week, once a week, series of counselling. That’s right I, bec, went to counselling. Hehe, and I think I can just imagine some of the responses, “Bec?! Went to counselling?! Why would she do that?” and “Why does Bec need to go to counselling, she’s all fine isn’t she?” And really, if you thought that, the comments aren’t unexpected. But I did go, and it’s been good. Why did I go? Well, if you want the specific why’s, you can ask me. But other than that it was because I needed to sort some of my stuff. To package it and repackage it so that it is sorted better. And it’s been really good. Amazingly so. I have always thought that counselling was a good idea for everyone at some stage in their life. But that was just it, I thought it was good for everyone else! Not for me. I didn’t want to go. Why? Most importantly because I thought it would be scary and secondly because I thought I would roll my eyes at them trying to “counsel” me. I have only a small amount of tolerance for people trying to “counsel” me who don’t do a good job. (yes, I do critique my own counsellors and supervisors and the like! So I’m pedantic! So sue me! :P) But the person that I have been seeing is great and the whole experience has been great. Why has it been great? I guess because it has allowed me to work through stuff and bounce and reflect it off them and allow them to add their wisdom to it. And it has given me permission to be who I am and to recognise that I am allowed to be human and that I don’t have to be perfect and this is actually ok. It’s also recognising and allowing that the solution can be complicated, and it may not be about being “fixed” or at least, if it might be, it’s part of the process, and really it’s not about fixing but healing coming from God. And in the midst of my three week solstice it has been this little beacon of light as I have the opportunity to sift through things in front of someone else. And surprisingly, someone that I trust, even after such a short time. There’s something about knowing that this person is a counsellor and they aren’t going to tell anyone. Or at least not someone who’s going to repeat anything. So counselling has been great. And I plan to continue to have contact with her and to catch up with her whenever in Sydney, so that would be cool. God is so good. He led me down here to do all this. I didn’t know why I had come down here but I have found it to be exactly what I have needed. I have loved this time. I have learnt and gained so much and I am reading to go and do what I need to do. It’s very exciting. There is an adventure just around the corner. So I am also putting this up as a prop to people going to counselling. Even if you don’t think you really need it. It’s actually kind of refreshing to have someone help you dig up your stuff and have a look at it and dust it down and see how things are going. And sometimes they can help you let down things that you didn’t even know that you were carrying. It really has been great! So people’s, if you have been thinking about it, go get some counselling. And if you haven’t, then maybe you should think about it…. I don’t know, it sounds like I am kind of assuming that what works for me works for everyone. But this has been really good. And I never thought I would get so much out of it. And it hasn’t been scary, it’s been great!!! And if you need further convincing you can read my picture of what it has been like for the last while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home